Vote for my blog on Mom Blog Network

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Does Administration = Head Up Your A$$?


I do NOT understand the administration of my school district. Yes, I realize that they have a job to balance the budget. However, how do they think that cutting ALL sports, cutting all of the arts, and privatizing all of the services are the answer?

Tonight the school board is meeting and on the agenda is cutting almost all sports - all as of the winter season, cutting elementary band, music, art and gym. Also, plans to cut all technology courses at the elementary level. How does that help our students? How does that make them able to compete against others later in life? for college? for jobs?

They also hauled away our heavy duty copy machines today! Hello? How are we supposed to make copies? This might not be as detrimental for subjects like math, social studies, or science where they have a textbook they can teach from. They just won't be able to supplement with worsheets/handouts. However, I teach English! I DO NOT HAVE A TEXTBOOK!!!! My course IS handouts/worksheets! How the heck am I supposed to do my job????

Of course the big whigs all got raises last year. Ones that "can't be gone back on". Yet somehow we can make all these cuts. Not to mention our salaries (which did NOT receive raises!) can be gone back on obviously as they want to give us a 9% pay cut!! Did I mention WE have NOT had a raise of ANY kind in years? And that THEY have?

Ugh! Schmucks. It does NOT feel like they remember what the basis of our profession is.

I have never been as dissatisfied with my job as I am right now this early (first week) in the school year! Usually I am only this frustrated in about June!

3 comments:

  1. Well, I came to tell you I posted some directions as to how I made a magazine bowl. :)

    After reading your post, I am feeling your pain. Well, not really but I once did. Our school and district had (has) many of the same issues or at least the same lack of funds but a few years ago many parents and teachers came together and ended up creating a Charter School because the funding is slightly different and the school or it's APC committee controls it's own funds (mostly) so we ended up being able to have a do SO much more. It will take work and effort but I would encourage an educated parent in your midst (and possibly teachers with time) to at least research the possibility. Our charter is based on arts and science and therefor our curriculum must be written and followed as such however there are MANY options depending on what your parents and teachers are looking for in the education their children receive. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh geez....I've been there. It sucks. I'm so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. How many ways this district is failing the kids, not to mention the teachers. You know that saying "Give a man a fish and feed him for a day but teach a man to fish and he'll feed himself for a lifetime?" Or something like that.

    In this case, the district is eliminating the LAKE on your guys. I'm so sorry.

    ReplyDelete